Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Being a Follower: Closing Thoughts

Back to "following" -- what does it mean to be a follower? If you said: 1) going after something as it moves from place to place, 2) mimic or imitate, or 3) following instructions thoroughly from start to finish, you would be correct.

Some other, maybe not so obvious examples of "following" in the scriptures are:
Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
Forever.
Most sheep follow their shepherd. The ones who don't end up getting into trouble. In David's experience as a shepherd, he had a vital interest in the sheep that were entrusted to his care. He made sure they had the care, provision and protection they needed. His reputation depended on it.
Ruth 1:11-18

But Naomi said, “Turn back, my daughters; why will you go with me? Are there still sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands? Turn back, my daughters, go—for I am too old to have a husband. If I should say I have hope, if I should have a husband tonight and should also bear sons, would you wait for them till they were grown? Would you restrain yourselves from having husbands? No, my daughters; for it grieves me very much for your sakes that the hand of the LORD has gone out against me!”

Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.

And she said, “Look, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods; return after your sister-in-law.”

But Ruth said:

“ Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.

Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The LORD do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.”

When she saw that she was determined to go with her, she stopped speaking to her.
When the widowed Israelite Naomi and here widowed Moabite daughter-in-law Ruth were considering their futures during a famine in Moab's pagan environment, Naomi wanted to return to her own people and leave Ruth to start over again. Ruth's loyalty was expressed by her declaration that, as far as she was concerned, Naomi's people were her people. Naomi's god was her god. Naomi's land was her land. She would follow Naomi no matter what.
2 Tim 3:10-11

But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
Paul was writing to his disciple Timothy, who had been through thick and thin with him. Paul knew that sending Timothy to do something was just that same as going himself, because Timothy would do it right. Paul reminded Timothy what following him had meant.
Hebrews 13:7

Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct.
God requires that men aspire to leadership and in so doing, to model a life worth following. Having followers is not a gimme. It is earned.

Last, you can't be a leader unless you have learned to be a follower.

He leadeth me, O bless'd thought!
O words with heavenly comfort fraught!
Whate'er I do, where'er I be
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden's bowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still 'tis His hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the victory's won,
E'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

No comments:

John and Cindy

John and Cindy
Kings Cross, London UK 2007